How These Weather Measurements Are Used
To survive and prosper, people throughout time have carefully monitored their environment. The ability to predict tomorrow’s or next week’s weather could mean the difference between poverty or plenty.
Today, while still vital to weather forecasting, precise environmental measurements are essential to many endeavors, including:
- resource analysis for renewable energy
- conservation of irrigation water
- sustainable food production
- monitoring air and ground water quality
- the development of detailed climate records
Climate science is the compilation and analysis of weather observations over time.
Data gathered at observatories like this one help us better understand weather and its effects upon people and ecosystems.